Picnic Precautions for Diabetics
Backyard picnics and barbecues are an enjoyable part of the summer months. When attending these get-togethers, people with diabetes should keep a few things in mind:
- Bring a dish. Since you won’t know what is in many of the foods, make something diabetic-friendly to take with you and share with guests.
- Look before you eat. Walk through the buffet line first, without a plate and decide on what you really want to eat instead of loading up right away.
- Pack on the produce. Fill your plate with vegetables instead of carbohydrate-laden foods like chips and pasta salad.
- Drink water. Alcohol and caffeinated beverages have diuretic effects; choose calorie-free water instead.
- Play ball. Work a little exercise into your meal by taking breaks to play active games with other guests. Frisbee, anyone?